Glenridding is a popular village which is on the southern shores of Ullswater in the English Lake District. Glenridding is very popular amongst tourists especially mountain climbers and hikers who wish to scale Helvellyn, which is England’s third highest peak. The village offers ample accommodation to its tourists in its hotels and two Youth Hostels. Glenridding offers good camping sites too.
photo credit: andrew_j_w
Above the village of Glenridding is the largest lead mine of Lake District at Greenside. Lead was discovered here in the 17th century and mining took place here from the 1690s until 1962. The local mines were the main reason for the sustenance of the economy of Glenridding and without them the houses and the structure of Glenridding would have ceased to exist.
Ullswater Steamers which is part of Ullswater Navigation and Transit Company Limited is based out of Glenridding. Ullswater Navigation and Transit Company started steamer service operations in 1859 and they helped transport mail, provisions and passengers in and around Ullswater. The famous “Raven” was completed in 1889. It was built in Rutherglen near Glasgow by Thomas Seath and Company. It was then transported in section by rail to Penrith and then by horse dray to Pooley Bridge where she was assembled. “Lady of the Lake” was launched in 1877. Both “Raven” and “Lady of the Lake” have for the past 116 years been in operation on the waters of Ullswater. Both these vehicles were transformed to operate as diesel vehicles in the 1930s and modernization and provision of top class facilities happens even today. The vessels also contain a saloon where travellers can enjoy central heating, beverages and drinks.
They brought in “Lady Dorothy” from Guernsey in March 2001 and the local boat builder Frank Howard restored her. This steamer provides winter service. “Totnes Castle” arrived at Ullswater in early 2005 after completing her sail round the coast to Whitehaven and finished her long journey on a flat back trailer here. A long refurbishment program was undertaken to revamp the “Totnes Castle” and she was re-launched as “Lady Wakefield” in November 2006.