Churches in the Lake District
Cartmel, St Mary the Virgin at Cartmel Priory
This is the best preserved medieval parish church in the Lake District. Orignates from the 12th century with 15th century windows. Amazing screens dating from the renaissance.
St Bees, St Mary & St Bega
Featuring a Norman Doorway decorated with cheveron mouldings, serpents and a ram. The Cruciform is in red sandstone. With ancient stones outside from the 8th century depicting St Michael and the dragon. map
Other Churches of Note
Whitehaven St James features a painting by Procaccini a pupil of Correggio. Wasdale Head is the resting place for many accomplished climbers and mountaineers .Waberthwaite has a Norman font and Saxon crosses with delightful Lakeland views. Ulpha was visited by William Wordsworth near the river Duddon. Penrith, St Andrew dates from the 13th century being made of red sandstone. Nether Wasdale is a small church adjoining a quaint village green. Muncaster has saxon and viking stones in it’s churchyard. Bowness, St Martin has a window given by Cartmel.
Beckermet has two Norman crosses in it’s churchyard. Brigham dates from the Norman period with a 19th century roof. Brougham, St Ninian also known as nine kirks is in the middle of a field. It was rebuilt by Lady Anne Clifford in 1660. Cartmel Fell has a low saddle-backed tower with windows featuring medieval glass.
Crothswaite has a 14th century font and 15th century effigies. Grasmere dates from the 11th century and is the burial place of William Wordsworth and his family. Hawkshead has excellent views of the surrounding hills. Ings features marble floors. Kendal, Holy Trinity has an interesting enlarged nave. Matterdale has a small tower with panelled woodwork.