Burneside is a small village located in Cumbria, England. It is situated to the north of Kendal and to the southeast of Staveley, on the River Kent, upstream from where the River Sprint joins it and has a population of around 2000.
Burneside railway station is situated on the Windermere Branch Line and proides connections to Windermere railway station to the northwest, Oxenholme Lake District railway station, on the West Coast Main Line and Lancaster railway station to the south. Burneside is about 10 miles (14 km) from the M6 motorway.
photo credit: Bods
In 1974 under a Local Government Act of 1972 Burneside became a part of the South Lakeland district the administrative centre of which is Kendal.
Burneside is part of the Westmorland and Lonsdale parliamentiary constituency and for which Tim Farron is the residing MP representing the Liberal Democrats.
Burneside’s economy is mainly based on the paper mill Croppers, founded in 1845 by James Cropper. Originally, most villagers worked in the factory and up until the year 2000 James Cropper, a descendant of the original James Cropper, owned a large sector of the village up until it was sold to housing agencies. St Oswalds Church Burneside has two main estates, Hall Park and Chapel Fields, which have a mix of both private and rented properties.
The village has a grocery store, a bakery and a paper shop which is part of the Croppers paper mill.It has a pub named the Jolly Anglers and a Chipshop named the Jolly fryer.
Burneside’s only church is called St. Oswalds to which the only school in the village is affiliated. The church represents the Church of England and has been here since 1647. The Bryce Institute is a key feature of the village allowing locals to take part in many social events. The Bryce institute, was built in 1896 and in 1918 was used as a bath house and now is used for many local events.
Burneside Hall lies on the outskirts of Burneside and is a ruined 14th century pele tower now attached to a farm house and out buildings. The fortification of the house was licenced in 1341 when the tower and a gatehouse were constructed.
There is a long south wing, and a much shorter oblong north wing, which is a pele tower. There are two tunnel-vaulted chambers situated at ground level, separated by a narrow tunnel-vaulted passage. The hall fell into the ownership of Richard de Bellingham of Northumberland when he married Margaret, the heiress of Gilbert de Burneshead. Their descendants lived in the hall for the next 200 years or so.
Most of the 14th century tower still remains, together with some of the original enclosing wall of the barmkyn or fortified courtyard. This area would have been used to stable and protect cattle in the event of an attack. Today, the hall and its grounds are accessed by a narrow drive-way from the road below it. Entrance would have been through a gate house from the 16th century onwards, still standing intact but with broken windows. The original heavy oak doors to the gate house can still be seen, now off their hinges and leaning against the interior wall!
The hall and its attendant buildings date from different times. The pele tower was constructed by the Burnesheads in the 14th century. Its basement is divided into two cellars, connected by a tunnel passing through the tower.
Apparently this is a unique feature for a pele tower. The walls of the pele tower were originally about 1.2metres thick. No traces of the embattled parapets remain.There was a special enclosure outside the tower, probably for the protection of horses.
Attached to the back of the pele tower is the Great Hall, probably built during the 16th century. This part of the building was constructed by the Bellinghams, and enlarged during the 17th century by the Braithwaites.