Situated on the southern edge of the Lake District National Park in Cumbia is the small town of Broughton-in-Furness which until 1974 was still a part of the county of Lancashire. It is close to the River Duddon, being inland from the coastal hamlet of Foxfield.
The town dates back to the 11th century and indeed the original settlement grew in size to become the prevalent market town both for agriculture and fishing.
In 1810 an obelisk was constructed in the centre of the town square marking the Silver Jubilee of King George III.
The Coniston branch of the Furness Railway was routed through the town from 1859, for almost a hundred years, until it was shut and dismantled in 1958, leaving Broughton’s closest station being on the coast at Foxfield.
Tourism, despite the creation of the National Park in the ninteen fifties, still tends to focus further north and east. The rural feel of the town was improved during the 1990′s with the diversion of the A595 road.
The town square in Broughton is home to the famous restaurant, Beswick’s, so called after Joyce and Ian Beswick, who formed the restaurant in one of the fine examples of Georgian property surrounding the square and noted for its prime cuts of meat from Berkshire Boar and Galloway Cow. In addition the Broughton Village Bakery holds the good food award, not least because of its specialisation in predominantly organic produce.
Source: Wikipedia – under the GNU Free Doc Licence